Reliquiae is a literary journal that interleaves ecologically aware writing from the past and present, ranging from the ethnological to the philosophical, the lyrical to the visionary. As of 2019 it is published biannually.
January 1st to March 31st
June 1st to August 31st
Reliquiae is a journal of landscape, nature and mythology. Your work must directly engage with these themes. We are particularly interested in esoteric, visionary and mythopoeic writing. We’re also keen on translations, particularly if the work has never been translated into English before. Have a look at some of our previous volumes to get an idea of the kind of texts that we publish.
1. If you were published in the last issue of the journal, please don't send us your work for this issue. Our aim is always to feature as many diverse voices as possible within any particular calendar year.
2. Please note: we do not accept simultaneous submissions. We aim to get back to you within one month of the close of each submission window (i.e. end of April / September). We also do not accept previously published work, whether in print or online.
3a. Please send no more than six poems or ten pages of work typeset in 12pt Times New Roman and formatted as a single Word or PDF document. Please do not accompany your work with images or illustrations.
3b. Please send up to 3,000 words of fiction or creative non-fiction typeset in 12pt Times New Roman and formatted as a Word or PDF document. Please do not accompany your work with images or illustrations. For longer works, please contact us first with a synopsis. Please use British English spellings and follow New Hart's Rules.
4. Please note: do not include in your work an epigraph or dedicatory quotation from another writer whose work is still in copyright. As we are UK publishers, copyright extends to 70 years from the death of the author if the work was published in their lifetime, and to 100 years if the work was posthumously published.
5. Submissions and queries should be made to: reliquiaejournal[at]gmail.com.
6. All published writers will receive a complimentary copy of Reliquiae and a small payment in exchange for their contribution.