Reliquiae is a literary journal that interleaves ecologically aware writing from the past and present, ranging from the ethnological to the philosophical, the lyrical to the visionary. As of 2019 it is published biannually.
2021 Submission Windows
January 1st to February 28th
June 1st to August 31st
Reliquiae is a journal of landscape, nature and mythology. Your work must engage with these themes. We are particularly interested in visionary and mythopoeic writing, and in work that embraces ritual practice and esoteric philosophy. We’re also excited by translations, especially if the work has never been translated into English before. Please don’t send us plain ‘nature’ or ‘mythological’ writing. We’re looking for submissions that refract these elements through the prism of the imagination. Have a look at some of our recent volumes to get an idea of the kinds of texts that we publish.
1. If you were published in the last issue of the journal, please don't send us your work for this issue. Our aim is always to feature as many diverse voices as possible within any particular twelvemonth period.
2. Please note: we do not accept simultaneous submissions. We aim to get back to you within one month of the close of each submission window. We also do not accept previously published work, whether in print or online.
3a. Please send no more than six poems or ten pages of work typeset in 12pt Times New Roman and formatted as a single Word or PDF document. Please do not accompany your work with images or illustrations. If you're sending translations, send in English and the original language. You'll need permission from the rights holder if the work is still in copyright (see 4 below).
3b. Please send up to 3,000 words of fiction or creative non-fiction typeset in 12pt Times New Roman and formatted as a Word or PDF document. Please do not accompany your work with images or illustrations. For longer works, please contact us first with a synopsis. Please use British English spellings and follow New Hart's Rules.
4. Please note: do not include in your work an epigraph or dedicatory quotation from another writer whose work is still in copyright. As we are UK publishers, copyright extends to 70 years from the death of the author if the work was published in their lifetime, and to 100 years if the work was posthumously published.
5. Submissions and queries should be made to: reliquiaejournal[at]gmail.com.
6. All published writers will receive a complimentary copy of Reliquiae and a small payment in exchange for their contribution.